Real Estate Investor Lead Generation
When it comes to real estate investor lead generation, whether you're a full-time or part-time investor, at the heart of your success or failure is always going to be:
Generating a steady flow of real estate investor leads.
For a stable, growing real estate investment business, you need to generate motivated seller leads and real estate investor / cash buyer leads, consistently, all the time.
Unfortunately, real estate investor lead generation can be a full-time job in itself...
... And that's before you ever get a chance to:
- nurture leads,
- view properties,
- conduct due diligence,
- make offers, and
- manage your investments.
That's why we've gathered together 23 of the smartest real estate investor lead generation ideas from the industry's top experts to answer this one simple question:
"What are the best ways to generate real estate investor leads?"
Some of the advice we received might not be what you expect, but you'll definitely learn a ton of actionable ways to generate Real Estate Cash Buyer and Motivated Seller Leads in our article here today.
23 Real Estate Investor Lead Generation Ideas from the Experts
Table of Contents
- ##. Actively Partner With the Right Local Agents for a Steady Flow of Motivated Seller Leads [via Memphis Invest]
- ##. Beat Your Competition at the 'We Buy Houses Bandit Sign' Game [via Dan Schwartz]
- ##. Target Probate Lists to Generate Motivated Seller Leads [via The Marketing Commando]
- ##. Use Yellow Letter Mailers & Yellow Postcards for Direct Mail Lead Generation [via PostCardMania]
- ##. Partner with Local Handyman & Attorneys. [via Paul Esajian]
- ##. Get Influencers [via Brian Dean]
- ##. Advertise on Craigslist Like a BOSS [via Tracy Caywood]
- ##. Use These 2 Untapped FREE Lead Sources [via John Cochran]
- ##. Find Motivated Sellers from Delinquent Tax List [via Kathy Kennebrook]
- ##. Don't Be a Secret Agent [via Dr. Lee Davenport]
- ##. Ensure Your Website is Optimized for Mobile to Capture More Leads [via inMotion]
- ##. Video Rules over Print Media [via David Martin]
- ##. Blog Your Way to Leads [via Cody Sperber]
- ##. Boost Conversion Rates By Using Positive Testimonials [via Danny Johnson]
- ##. Get More Leads Online With Easy-to-Find Contact Info [via Danny Johnson]
- ##. Create an Ebook or Tip Guide to Capture More Leads [via Wishpond]
- ##. Build Backlinks by Creating & Promoting High Quality Content [via IdealREI]
- ##. Research & Attend Auctions for More Off-Market Property Leads [via Karen's Perspective]
- ##. Brand Yourself: Wear Branded Clothing to Capture More In-Person Leads
- ##. Use A/B Split Testing to Find Out Which Content Pulls More Leads [via SoarSEM]
- ##. Segment Your Direct Mail Lists to Match Your Target Audience's Desires [via ML Jordan]
##. Actively Partner With the Right Local Agents for a Steady Flow of Motivated Seller Leads [via Memphis Invest]
Real Estate Agents can be a valuable asset to Real Estate Investors, especially when it comes to generating Motivated Seller Leads.
Not all real estate Agents understand the needs of an Investor, so you want to partner with local Agents that understand the fundamentals of your business.
Top 5 Traits to Look For When Partnering with Real Estate Agents
These are the 5 Traits to Look For When Partnering With Real Estate Agents, as described by real estate expert & investor, Chris Clothier (a partner at Memphis Invest, 6x Inc 5000 honoree).
You should aim to partner only with:
- Real Estate Agents who have a proven track record with Real Estate Investors.
- Real Estate Agents that can handle with multiple deals at the same time.
- Real Estate Agents that are knowledgeable and experienced in multiple markets in your target areas.
- Real Estate Agents with exceptional character, integrity, and honesty. You don't want a real estate agent that will take shortcuts which could cost you in the end.
- (When possible) Turnkey property sellers are always on the lookout for real estate investor partners. If your Agent has turnkey inventory or knows other investors who do, they can be a great help to growing your portfolio.
In addition to compatibility on the above 5 Traits, it will be crucial to help your partner-Agents understand exactly what type of "Motivated Seller Signals" indicate your ideal target properties.
This will help them avoid sending un-targeted junk your way, saving both of you time & wasted effort.
Finally, it will be important to maintain regular follow up & nurturing communications with your partner-Agents: make sure to make their job as easy as possible, pay them accordingly, and you'll be building a referral relationship to last a lifetime.
Learn how you can use Virtual Assistants to help build referral partnerships with your target local Agents! Request more info here.
##. Beat Your Competition at the 'We Buy Houses Bandit Sign' Game [via Dan Schwartz]
He's not just randomly blanketing the town with litter, but rather has a very sophisticated and targeted approach to posting these signs.
Check out his idea.
Step 1: Buy 100-200 of 18x24 blank signs with equal amount of H-Stakes and a Sharpie Pen
Step 2: Write “Sell Your House As-Is. Cash. [Your Tracking Number]” and “Buying Houses Now. Cash. Fast. [Your Tracking Number]” on these signs. Put the H-Stakes into the flutes, and put them in your car.
Step 3: Every Friday at 2PM, go around and put these signs up at busy intersections in your target areas. Make sure to put them up around Walmarts…it works. You can use the app SimpleCrew to track where these signs are.
Step 4: Take them down on Monday morning so you can re-use them and not violate your city ordinances! You paid good money for these little assets, so you might as well keep them in play.
Not only does Dan not recommend wasting your signs nailed up to telephone polls (potentially leaving you vulnerable to fines & prosecution for littering in some municipalities)...
He also takes a systematized approach as to when and where you should be getting your signs posted. He even recommends a helpful technology, SimpleCrew, to go above & beyond your competitors in really tracking your We Buy Houses Bandit Sign Lead Generation campaign.
Looking for help implementing this type of campaign?
Get started with a free Opportunity Analysis Consultation call.
We'll go over the logistics & pricing of what it will take.
##. Target Probate Lists to Generate Motivated Seller Leads [via The Marketing Commando]
Probates and other types of inherited properties are an excellent source for motivated seller leads.
The simple answer?
Inheriting a property can be one of the most inconvenient forms of real estate ownership...
Probate Sellers are Motivated Sellers!
Before you start digging into Probate Leads, you need to understand a few things.
First of all, these are people & families who are going through the loss of a loved one. If you are not sensitive to their situation, you will be ignored!
Luckily, this also means that many of these Probate Sellers are very eager to meet a trustworthy, reasonable person who can help them quickly & conveniently sell their property (in as-is condition).
If you're a savvy investor, that person will be you.
Before you jump head-first into contacting Probate property owners, it's worth investing some time to understand the rough legal outline of the Probate process, and some of the key terminology.
Understanding The Probate Terminology & Process
Probate: The first step in the legal process of administering the estate of a deceased person, resolving all claims and distributing the deceased person's property under a will.
Intestate: If someone dies without leaving a will, then they are ‘intestate.’
Administrator: A person who is appointed by the courts to deal with the estate of someone who died intestate.
Executor: A person, or entity, that was appointed in a will, to take care of the estate of the deceased.
Will: A document in which a person specifies the method to be applied in the management and distribution of his estate after his death. Even if someone had a Will, many of their assets will still be held in Probate.
Trusts: A trust is created by the owner (the "settlor", "trustor" or "grantor") to transfer property to be managed by a "trustee" for benefit of the trust's "beneficiaries." Depending on how it is set up, real estate held in a Trust will most likely avoid Probate.
When a person passes away, whether they are Intestate or they have a Will, in most states a Probate file will be opened to give creditors and family members a chance to contest the Will (if there is one), and for any other assets owned by the decedent to be distributed equitably.
It will be important for you, as an Investor, to understand whether the property is going through Probate, or whether it is being directly transferred to beneficiaries / in a trust. This will significantly affect your timeline as to when the property will be available for purchase.
If the property is going through Probate, especially if the decedent passed away Intestate, chances are you're looking at a 6 - 12+ months process before the beneficiaries will even be able to sell!
The Good News About Investing In Probate Properties ... Even If You Have A Long Turnaround Time
Regardless of how long you'll have to wait before the Probate Property is ready for sale, the good news is:
Probate properties are great investments because the owners are motivated sellers!
If you've ever inherited a property that needed work, or was in an inconvenient location, or otherwise was not a value to your immediate lifestyle, you know how it feels... You want to sell fast & easy, even if it means not getting as much money!
Now, the last important detail for you to start adding Probate Leads into your own Real Estate Investing funnel...
What Are the Best Ways to Find Probate Property Leads?
No matter where you're located, Probates are a matter of public record.
That is one of the main functions of the entire Probate process:
To publicly announce the passing of the decedent, and to provide beneficiaries & creditors notice of the Will, and any assets owned by the person at the time of their passing.
Therefore, regardless of where you live, or where you're investing, there is definitely some way to access the local Probate records!
Here are some of the most common places to look for your own Probate real estate investment leads:
- Your local county auditor / assesor / or family courts website. In a best case scenario, you'll be able to find all your probate leads online for free!
- Your local newspaper(s), especially those accessible online. While newspapers don't always have a section for Probate announcements, they do always have Obituaries. In a worst case scenario, you can check if the people mentioned in Obits had any property in their name at the time of passing via your county records site(s).
- Subscription services such as USProbateLeads. While expensive, the data is good quality & convenient. Remember: these lists are most likely being sold to other investors competing in your same market.
- Build a working relationship with local probate attorneys. Chances are, at least one local Family Law or Estate Planning Attorney in your target market(s) will already have access to this data. Work out a deal with them to share the data in exchange for sharing the costs or other marketing burdens, and you'll get access straight from the experts.
- Get the data from the courthouse directly. In a worst case scenario, some counties only have the full list of Probate data available by visiting the court house in-person. If you don't have the time to visit yourself, consider hiring a local Administrative Assistant to handle the task on your behalf (we've had to do this ourselves in Marion County, Indiana when investing in Indianapolis properties).
##. Use Yellow Letter Mailers & Yellow Postcards for Direct Mail Lead Generation [via PostCardMania]
When it comes to Real Estate Investment Lead Generation, in many ways, direct mail is still king.
Let's go back to some old-school technology. Who still uses yellow notepads? According to PostCardMania.com, just by sending hand-written note on yellow paper could potentially connect you with 70% of your prospective sellers. You don't have to literally hand write your message, you can still use a printer to print out your message.
Direct mail is still the go-to for real estate investing marketing.
Did You Know?
- 70% of U.S. consumers say snail mail is more personal than the internet (Data & Marketing Association)
- 42% of recipients read or scan direct mail pieces (DMA)
- 54% of consumers say direct mail is their preferred form of marketing (MarketingSherpa)
- 60% of direct mail recipients were influenced to visit a promoted website (USPS)
According to Epic Real Estate you should send out at 20 letters per day, 5 days per week, for 6 months
##. Partner with Local Handyman & Attorneys. [via Paul Esajian]
Over on his excellent Real Estate Investor blog, FortuneBuilders, Paul Esajian shares 51 Real Estate Lead Generation Ideas.
Two of our favorites both involved local partnerships with complementary business owners, so we grouped them into one.
How to Partner With Local Handymen
"In terms of real estate lead generation ideas, partnering with local handymen can provide an invaluable resource to investors. These individuals are generally the first to respond to home sellers, helping to make repairs and upgrades."
We all have our "favorite" handyman we use for projects. Partner with your handymen and offer an incentive for every referral generated. You get a lead and your handymen performs your restoration/repairs.
How to Partner With Local Attorneys
"As I’m sure everyone is aware, an attorney has insight into special affairs. As a real estate investor, starting a business partnership with a local attorney has the ability to leverage that insight into finding potential deals that could be coming up."
Attorneys have access to information you and I cannot get. Work with your attorney or attorneys who specialize in real estate and start building a relationship.
##. Get Influencers [via Brian Dean]
"The strategy these out of nowhere bloggers use to supercharge their blogs’ expansion is blogger outreach."
Brian Dean, CEO Backlinko
Blogs are everywhere and everyone is doing it! In fact, according to Brian Dean there are over 164 million blogs online. So...
How do you set yourself apart from the 164+Million posts? Get Influencers!
In his article, "Blogger Outreach: How to Get Influencers to Promote Your Content for Free" he shares his 5 crucial steps.
- Identify your "Hit List": create a spreadsheet of influencers for your niche market (i.e., real estate investors, real estate investor lead generation)
- Separate your Hit List into tiers: social authority, domain authority, and blog comments.
- Comment on their blog: Don't leave generic comments, give insightful comments that will add value to the conversation
- Send a complimentary email: Be short and sweet. Let them know you enjoy reading their content...give your influencers an ego boost
- Let them know of their broken links: They might not know they even have broken links. Let them know you were exploring their site and noticed links were broken.
##. Advertise on Craigslist Like a BOSS [via Tracy Caywood]
Property MOB Founder, Tracy Caywood has a sure-fire way to find Motivated Sellers for FREE by posting ads on Craigslist.
Write up your ad content and post to several categories:
Real Estate - By Broker
Real Estate Services
Real Estate Wanted
Take a look at Tracy's content...
"I'm a cash buyer in Jacksonville Florida, and I will make you an ALL CASH OFFER on your house. I can close in as little as 7 days. Give me a call at (904) 257-3792 and let's set up a time when I can come out and look at the house. My name is Tracy"
2 Valuable Lessons: post every day & think outside the box
##. Use These 2 Untapped FREE Lead Sources [via John Cochran]
John Cochran is the CEO of RealEstateU and a real estate investor in Dayton, OH.
He took some time while visiting this rehab project to share his insights on free sources of motivated seller leads.
John's Secrets for Free Real Estate Seller Leads
Seller Lead Tip #1. Real Estate Seller Lead Follow Up.
96% of your deals will come from following up on your existing leads. Very few leads will turn into a deal with only the first interaction.
You don't actually need a ton of leads to generate a sale...
If you actually implement consistent Lead Follow Up systems.
One of the best approaches to this is via automated drip email sequences, which you should be adding all your Seller Leads into.
Seller Lead Tip #2. Create Relationships Locally for Ongoing Referrals.
90% of your deals come from creating relationships while only 10% come from marketing.
Obviously your local relationships are going to be one of the strongest sources of ongoing, FREE motivated real estate seller leads.
Connecting with your local church is a great way to build relationships.
Referrals = Repeat business.
##. Find Motivated Sellers from Delinquent Tax List [via Kathy Kennebrook]
Kathy Kennebrook of Marketing Magic Lady is a successful Real Estate Investor and shares with you simple, proven methods to get you real results.
"Using delinquent tax lists to locate motivated sellers is one of the easiest ways Kathy Kennebrook knows to find good deals and really motivated sellers for your real estate business."
Public records are free and found in your local newspaper (if you still get those) or the preferred method of checking the county courthouse website.
Once you have your Delinquent Tax List(s) for your target investing markets, it's time to reach out to these prospective motivated sellers.
The Best Way to Generate Motivated Seller Leads from Delinquent Tax Lists
To learn much more about the Marketing Magic Lady's excellent approach to using Delinquent Tax Lists & Direct Mail Marketing to locate highly qualified motivated sellers, check out her radio interview:
In this interview, Kathy talks about:
- Topic One. bla bla bla. (2:45)
- Topic Two. etc etc etc. (24:33)
- Topic Two. etc etc etc. (24:33)
##. Don't Be a Secret Agent [via Dr. Lee Davenport]
Market yourself to everyone! Tell your family, your friends, your neighbors what you do. Don't be a secret agent!
Inman blog contributor,real estate coach and trainer, Dr. Lee Davenport, writes..."marketing brings exposure to your business."
Read her blog here:: 70 real estate lead generation ideas
Brand yourself through your business cards, website, social media accounts, and throughout your community.
##. Ensure Your Website is Optimized for Mobile to Capture More Leads [via inMotion]
Are you reaching your audience? More and more visitors use mobile devices and if your site is not optimized...visitor leaves and there goes your lead!
"Ensure your website is optimized for mobile devices."
Did you know that more than 80% of your potential clients search online? Just having a website doesn't generate immediate leads. So...here's a few tips from inMotion Real Estate Media:
- Optimized website for mobile devices and desktop
- Publish Market Reports
- Improve SEO
Follow InMotion on LinkedIn:: InMotion
##. Video Rules over Print Media [via David Martin]
Seeing is BELIEVING! We love to watch movies, music videos, tv show...so why not make videos that show what you do?!
"Did you know that according to research, most people are attracted to what they SEE vs. what they READ?" David Martin, Renegade Wholesaler, 10 Hot Marketing Tips Real Estate Investors
Videos draw visitors in and grabs their attention. Give your viewers a personal message or educate them but...keep it short and don't forget to include a call to action.
##. Blog Your Way to Leads [via Cody Sperber]
Interact with your visitors. Having a website alone will not get you the leads you want...host a Blog.
Cody Sperber of Clever Investor shares his knowledge and expertise for generating leads.
Share anything you want! It's about branding and positioning which equals leads. Post properties, share your success stories, client testimonials (now this is one everyone should have on their websites), or tips of the trade. Be consistent and post your blogs regularly.
Connect with Cody Sperber on LinkedIn:: Cody Sperber
##. Boost Conversion Rates By Using Positive Testimonials [via Danny Johnson]
"Have positive testimonials on your website."
Testimonials work! People want to do business with those who have integrity and that is what your testimonials will show.
Don't assume your customers will magically give you their testimonials...you need to ask for them! One of the best testimonials you could get is a would be to get a video testimonial.
Check out FlippingJunkie on Facebook: FlippingJunkie
##. Get More Leads Online With Easy-to-Find Contact Info [via Danny Johnson]
"You should have your phone number everywhere. I mean it – everywhere."
Make it is easy for visitors to contact you. Your phone number should be on every page and VISIBLE. Remember there are people who will not fill out contact forms and will leave if they can't find contact information on you and your business.
Follow Danny Johonson on Twitter:: FlippingJunkie
##. Create an Ebook or Tip Guide to Capture More Leads [via Wishpond]
You're an expert in your field...why not share it with the world!
Ebooks can be a compilation of your existing content on a particular topic or something you are an expert on. Give value to your leads and an Ebook will do just that.
Below are some great Ebook ideas or inspirations from Wishpond
1. The First Time Buyer’s Handbook
2. Real Estate Investment Secrets
3. The Art of Selling
4. How to Get the Most Out of Selling Your Home
Tip Guides are very similar to an EBook but it provides your leads with beneficial and educational information. Speaking on real estate alone; give tips on selling, buying, investing, flipping, avoid mistakes, or taking out a mortgage.
##. Build Backlinks by Creating & Promoting High Quality Content [via IdealREI]
Great content and promotions work together to get noticed and more importantly...LEADS!!
Start "networking" with other blogs by leaving comments and reach out to the site owners with just a "hi or hello." Show interest..build relationships.
The takeaway is to create great content and build relationships.
Follow IdealREI on Facebook::IdealREI.com
##. Research & Attend Auctions for More Off-Market Property Leads [via Karen's Perspective]
According to Karen's Perspective, foreclosures are risky and not for newbies. Do your research and make purchases that will generate a ROI that you are looking for.
##. Brand Yourself: Wear Branded Clothing to Capture More In-Person Leads
Market Yourself! Wear your brand everywhere!
Go to the grocery store and you have on your name badge and/or polo shirt with your logo and...
Someone asks you about your business. WOW! You just got a lead without having to send out mailouts, make cold calls. Don't be a secret agent...let everyone know what you do and ALWAYS wear your branded apparel.
##. Use A/B Split Testing to Find Out Which Content Pulls More Leads [via SoarSEM]
Test, test, test and test again. You don't want your visitors to land on a page that doesn't work. Check everything on your site from color schemes to call-to-action phrases.
Conduct a A/B test (split testing) on your site. Know what you want to test and what the baseline result should be.
Now make sure you check your real estate investor PPC campaign. Check and refine your keywords consistently. Use analytics program like Google Analytics to get real-time results from your campaign.
##. Segment Your Direct Mail Lists to Match Your Target Audience's Desires [via ML Jordan]
Direct Mailing like your Social Media strategies will perform far greater results when you narrow your targeted markets (prospects).
Through various tried and true methods, one of the most effective forms of mass communication is to send a personalized letter (message) to your targeted audience. Stop sending out your CRM's generic message..make it PERSONAL.
Follow MLJordan on Twitter:: ML Jordan